Due to increased security measures for air travel, we wish to alert you to the following changes:
- Hand luggage and/or carry-on items may not include cutting objects of any blade length or composition, be they metallic or non-metallic, or any other object that may potentially be used as a weapon. Examples of such objects: straight razors, nail files, scissors, box cutters, ice picks, or any other object bearing a sharp edge or point. Needles and syringes are exempt from the above prohibitions if the passenger also has in their possession medication that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label.
- You may be required to demonstrate the use of electronic items such as cellphones and laptop computers when passing through airport security.
- Please allow ample check in time before your flight. We suggest that you check in no less than 2 hours ahead of time when departing from Europe and 3 hours when departing from the United States for international travel.
- Curbside check-in at airports has been eliminated. Likewise, telephone check-in has been eliminated for passengers departing Iceland.
- You can find more informations here (PDF)
Baggage admitted for carriage as passenger's baggage may only contain such articles necessary for wear, use, comfort or convenience in connection with the trip. For safety reasons articles such as those listed below shall not be carried in passengers baggage without consent of Icelandair and prior arrangement.
- Explosives, such as ammunition, fireworks and flares.
- Aerosols containing polishes degreasers and cleaners.
- Irritating or offensive material.
- Compressed Gases, (deeply refrigerated, flammable, nonflammable and poisonous) such as butane, oxygen, propane, liquid nitrogen aqualung cylinders.
- Corrosive Materials, such as acids, alkalis, wet cell batteries, mercury.
- Flammable liquids and solids, such as MATCHES, acetone, paints, thinners, fire lighters, lighter fuel, cleaning spirit, wax-matches, book matches. (Matches may be carried on the person.)
- Magnetic material.
- Oxidizing materials, such as bleaching powder, nitrates, peroxides.
- Poisons and infectious substances, such as arsenic, cyanides, some insecticides, weedkillers and live virus materials.
- Radioactive material.
- Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices containing lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic devices.
- Possession of offensive weapons like firearms and other weapons is forbidden in the passenger cabin.
Medical and toilet articles in small quantities which are necessary for the passenger during the journey, such as hair spray, perfumes and medicines containing alcohol, may be carried without prior approval.
Packing & Marking
All checked baggage must be properly packed in suitcase or similar container in order to ensure safe carriage with ordinary care in handling, i.e. it must be sufficiently rigid and resistant to stand pressure caused by normal loading conditions.
Please avoid packing valuable, fragile and perishable articles in your checked baggage because Icelandair can assume no liability for these items. Examples of those articles are:
- Travel documents
- Medical certificates / documents
- X-Ray plates
- Negotiable papers
- Business documents
- Fragile or perishable items
- Electronic equipment
- Metals and silverware
- Valuable items
- Passports and other identification documents or samples
Remove old baggage tags from previous flights. Each piece of baggage must be clearly marked with the passengers name and destination address both inside and out. Unmarked baggage will not be accepted.